Disclaimer: At absolutely no cost to you, as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases linked from this site. All content on this site is maintained and supported through such programs and your support is appreciated. Disclaimers.
Almost every kitchen has 22″ drawer slides moving drawers in and out. While some are basic like the epoxy slide, others have integrated push to open with soft closing technology to enhance ease of use.
In this article we’ll review ten of the best drawer slides for your project that will fit your capability and budget.
Before we begin, choosing the best slides has to take into account your project needs:
- For new drawers, all drawer slides can be considered. Budget may be your biggest factor.
- For retrofit drawers the side gap and cabinet construction need to be considered
- Slides can support weights from 50 pounds up to heavy duty 500# or more
- Self closing slides to prevent drawers from opening
- Soft closing to prevent slamming drawers (see best soft close drawer slides for more)
- Push to touch for hardware-less drawers.
22" Drawer Slides
3. Economy ball bearing 22" drawer slides
4. 22" Soft close side mount ball bearing with full extension
5. 22" Drawer Slides - Ball Bearing (Self Close)
9. Heavy Duty 22" Drawer Slides (250#)
Frequently Asked Questions for 22" Drawer Slides
What size drawer slides do I need?
A rule of thumb to determine the size of drawer slides is the depth of the cabinet from the wall to the face frame or frame minus 2″. So for a standard 24″ kitchen cabinet a 22″ slide is required. Most slides have a 1/2″ side size gap requirement but that can vary with slides like Blum or heavy duty slides.
What is a ball bearing drawer slide?
Ball bearing drawer slides are constructed of interlocking steel slides that glide on a series of ball bearings. Because of their all-steel construction they offer heavy duty performance. However, due to their intricate alignment needs the slides need to be installed with precision.
Key features of ball bearing slide:
- Usually full extension due to heavy duty design.
- Feature a “snap to release” lever for removing the drawer from the cabinet.
- Available in lengths up to 60″ and weight capacity of 1000 pounds (and more).
How much space do you need for a drawer slide?
Space for a drawer slide varies by slide design. While there are a wide variety of slides that use a “standard” 1/2″ gap the following slides use a different width:
- Blum Tandem slides have a gap requirement smaller than 1/2″ and require a custom bottom.
- Heavy duty slides over 250 pound capacity typically have a 3/4″ side space requirement.
What are the best drawer slides?
While the best drawer slides have to account for your budget, my favorite operating drawer slide is without a doubt the Blum Tandem Blumotion* As they feature soft close, are hidden as an under mount and have an easy opening force they work extremely well.
Hopefully this guide was useful to find the best 22″ drawer slide for your project.
To learn more about drawer slides, including how to install them, be sure to check out our series below:
Drawer Slide Series
Choosing and installing drawer slides takes planning. Follow our series for more guides, tools and techniques to complete your project: