Opting for farmhouse cabinet hardware knobs and pulls means choosing a classic, utility-first hardware that spans centuries of design. And, of course, with a focus on function over fancy designs.
However, while simply designed, there are surprisingly few kitchens as diverse in design as farmhouse kitchens.
From bright painted yellow cabinets to classic blues and even white cabinets the colors are unique. And the variety of pulls that fit the farmhouse utility design are even more so. But, that also makes finding farmhouse cabinet hardware for your look difficult.
A few tips on this type of hardware:
- Look for high quality, all-metal knobs and pulls
- Always use a cabinet hardware jig for installation to ensure proper level
- Buy a few different styles and try them on the cabinet
- And, of course, don’t be afraid to try something different – it might be just what you were looking for
Lastly, when buying cabinet hardware be sure to buy a couple of extras and store them away. You’ll never know when you need a replacement or add another cabinet and need a match.
Top Farmhouse Cabinet Hardware
Best for drawers:
› Ravinte Cup Pulls (10 pack) at Amazon ($15.99)
Popular door pulls:
Rustic farmhouse pulls:
› Westablize Rust Pulls (12 Pack) at Amazon ($39.99)
Farmhouse cabinet knobs:
› Ravinte 1-1/4 inch Knobs (30 pack) at Amazon ($29.99)
Must have installation tool:
› Cabinet Hardware Drill Template at Amazon ($27.99)
Classic Farmhouse Cup Pull
See on Amazon: 3-INCH CUP PULLS
One of the classic looks of a farmhouse kitchen is white cabinets combined with large plank wood flooring and either quartz or wood counters.
While bronze hardware is more common, larger handle bars and cup pulls can be combined for visual breakup.
Farmhouse Knobs and Pulls on Painted Cabinets
See on Amazon: VICTORIAN ROUND KNOBS
It’s surprising to many but one of the classic looks of a farmhouse kitchen is painted cabinets. And from bright yellow cabinets to softer hues there are a variety of colors (and combinations) that can define this style kitchen.
- Traditional cup pulls
- Square or round knobs
- Polished finishes
Farmhouse cabinet With Dark Wood and Gold Handles
See on Amazon: GOLD DOOR AND DRAWER PULLS
While not as traditional, one variant of a farmhouse kitchen is dark cabinets combined with bronze or gold hardware. And, as seen, this look can be paired with a wood countertop to tie the hardware into the grain color.
Farmhouse Kitchens With Glass Doors and KNobs
See on Amazon: 1-1/4 INCH KNOBS
A common design to farmhouse kitchens includes clear glass cabinets that are used to showcase dishes and bowls. And while you’ll typically find just a couple of glass doors, it’s common for this style of farmhouse cabinet hardware to use knobs.
Farmhouse Cabinet Hardware Handle Bars and PUlls on White Cabinets
See on Amazon: OVERSIZE COUNTRY STYLE PULL
For larger doors and drawers it’s common to use larger hardware – including oversized handles that can range from 6″ to 12″ in length.
And, as show, these can be mixed across doors and drawers (paired to the size of the door).
Clear Glass Knobs on Farmhouse Cabinets
See on Amazon: ROUND CLEAR KNOB
Looking for a non-traditional perspective on farmhouse cabinet hardware?
If you want the cabinet knobs to blend with painted white wood a simple glass knob fits the character of a farmhouse without being oversized and burdensome.
Silver Hardware on Yellow Farmhouse Cabinets
See on Amazon: SILVER CABINET KNOBS
No farmhouse kitchen inventory is complete without looking at a sun-yellow cabinet. And, often seen here are large cup pulls with square or round cabinet hardware.
Popular Farmhouse Cabinet Hardware
How to Install FArmhouse Cabinet Hardware
Once you’ve selected the hardware the easiest part is over.
Unless you follow a few simple steps to safeguard the investment in your cabinets, and time. Next, let’s take a look at a few installation tips and tools that will not only save you time, but also save potentially save you money as you avoid damage to your cabinets.
Of course, you can always hire a professional to help you with your project. And if you’re not sure it’s always the best option.
Use a Cabinet Hardware Jig to Install the Knobs and Pulls
If you haven’t installed cabinet hardware before you likely don’t know there is a special jig.
While cabinet hardware jigs are a topic to themselves, in a nutshell they are a drill jig that will quickly and accurately set the location of the holes for your handles and knobs.
I’ve used the inexpensive Tourace Cabinet Hardware Jig for smaller projects. But if you’ll be installing larger handles or a complete kitchen it’s worth investing in a professional-grade jig. And, there is only one on the market in the True Position Tools cabinet hardware jig.
- Cordless Drill
- Cabinet Hardware Jig
- 3/16″ drill bit
- Hacksaw (optional)
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you add knobs and pulls to cabinets?
Cabinet knobs and pulls are usually easy to add to existing cabinets. Even if your cabinets have an older style cabinet pull cut into the cabinet door edge you can use a cabinet hardware jig to drill holes and install hardware.
Should I use pulls or knobs on cabinets?
While there is no right or wrong answer as aesthetics and function are involved, a common approach is using pulls on drawers and knobs on smaller cabinet doors. Some kitchens will use this mix, and vary design by adding pulls to larger cabinet doors to balance the size and weight.
Should I match my cabinet hardware color to my door hardware?
When matching cabinet hardware with door hardware it’s common to use the same color if the door and cabinets are the same base color. For example, white doors and white cabinets with close proximity should be the same color. However, if the cabinets are a different wood or different color it’s easier to mix up the hardware finish to match the cabinets and not door hardware.
- Risk-free 365 Days trail:We're confident you 'll...
- MODERN: Functional & elegant, These Matte Black...
- DURABLE & STRONG: 30 bar pulls made of stainless...
- Simple look: The Black cabinet handles have a wide...
- [MEASUREMENT]: Hole centers(CC):3 inch(76mm),...
- Center to Center: 1-1/4 inch ; Projection: 1/2...
- Black Mist Antique Finish
- Mounting Hardware Included
- Old Mission Collection
- 365-day free trial: Though our cabinet knobs and...
- If you're replacing your handle, measure and...
- Size of cabinet hardware: Overall Length: 3-11/16...
- Durable design& fine touch: With advanced...
- Simple look: The black cabinet pulls have a wide...
- Add a touch of elegance to your kitchen and...
- Center to Center measurement (distance between the...
- Length (from left to right): 3 13/16 in (96.5 mm)...
- Finish: Matte Black, made of Metal
- Included: Mounting hardware is included for an...
- PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS: Color: Matte Black; Hole...
- COMMERCIAL GRADE MATERIAL: Constructed from...
- HAND-FINISHED DESIGN:Featuring clean lines,...
- INCLUDES INSTALLATION SCREWS: Each pull is...
- VERSATILE STYLING: Works perfectly with...
- Risk-free 365 Days trial: We're so confident...
- EURO-STYLE: The cabinets knobs is an ideal way to...
- Size of round Knobs:Diameter 1-1/4“ ; Base...
- Durable design& fine touch: With advanced...
- Simple look: The Black cabinet knobs have a wide...
Last update on 2022-12-01 at 21:14 / Images from Amazon
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
Eric has been a professional woodworker for over thirty years and has worked in small cabinet shops making everything from kitchen cabinets to hand-made furniture. Now working from a home woodworking shop Eric is sharing his passion for woodworking, tool advice and how-to knowledge from his Minnesota-based woodshop.