The JET JWP-13BT planer is a benchtop solution that can smooth boards up to 13 inches wide and 6 inches thick. Unlike other planer manufacturers in this category, JET has a higher capacity and more powerful floor models. While this planer is sought after for its “helical” head, we found that inserts are aligned in rows in our test. And unfortunately, the plastic top casing was cracked on two of our units.
JET JWP-13BT Bench Top Planer
JET JWP-13BT Overview
The Jet JWP-13BT is a benchtop thickness planer for woodworking enthusiasts and professionals. Some of its notable features include:
- Motor: Powered by a 15-amp motor that delivers up to 18,800 cuts per minute, allowing it to handle even the toughest hardwoods efficiently.
- Cutting capacity: 13 inches in width and 6 inches in height, making it suitable for a wide range of woodworking projects.
- Four-column carriage lock: The four-column carriage lock provides rigidity and ensures accurate cuts.
- Three-knife cutter head: This delivers a smooth finish and reduces the need for frequent knife changes.
- Infeed and outfeed tables: The planer comes with infeed and outfeed tables that provide additional support for longer workpieces and help reduce snipe.
- Depth stop: The depth stop allows you to set the depth of the cut and ensures that each pass is consistent.
- Dust collection: The Jet JWP-13BT has a dust port connected to a dust collector or vacuum to keep your work area clean.
More information can be found at jettools.com
- 2HP 15-amp motor
- 6 rows of 26 individual cutting heads
- 18,800 cuts per minute
- Two indeed speeds
- Dust collection
- 120V single phase
- Folding tables
- Maximum cut depth 1/8″
- Model #: JWP-13BT
- Table Size: 13 x 9.8″
- Speeds: 2
- Max width: 13″
JET JWP-13BT Review
I wanted to like this benchtop planer after owning a JET table saw and JET dust collector for almost two decades.
But, unfortunately, the quality of the construction was low enough that I couldn’t keep it, even after trying twice with both JET customer service and a replacement from Amazon.
The issue? The plastic casing on the top of the planer could be more flimsy. So flimsy that the Rigid planer this was replacing was better built. And not one but two of these planers arrived with a cracked top.
- Two speeds
- Independent cutting heads that are easy to replace
- 2HP motor
- 13-inch cutting width
- Flimsy plastic case construction
- Is not a true helical planer. It is marketed as “helical style”, but is more like a straight-blade style in design.
$800 – $1000 USD
While the planer was different from what I wanted or would recommend, I kept a new generation of flip tables from JET and mounted my Dewalt 735X on it.
Alternatives to the JET JWP-13BT
Dewalt DWS-735X: This planer doesn’t feature the individual blades but offers:
- A price of around $200 less
- Construction-grade outer casing
- Three blades
- Two speeds
After comparing price points, having received two damaged units, and suffering through return hassles, I would recommend something other than this planer. If you choose a spiral design, opt for a floor-based model that outperforms a bench-top planer.
Read more: Guide to Bench Top Planers
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
Eric has been a professional woodworker for over thirty years and has worked in small cabinet shops making everything from kitchen cabinets to hand-made furniture. Now working from a home woodworking shop Eric is sharing his passion for woodworking, tool advice and how-to knowledge from his Minnesota-based woodshop.